Pelican Township

Pelican Township

organized September 5, 1870, took its name from the Pelican River flowing through it. In sections 22 and 27, where the river descends with rapids over drift boulders, Pelican Rapids Village was platted in 1872 and incorporated May 16, 1882. The Ojibways gave to Lake Lida their name of the pelican, spelled Shada by Longfellow’s “Song of Hiawatha,” and they applied the same name to the Pelican River from this lake and Lake Lizzie to its junction with Red (Otter Tail) River.

Source: The Book “Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance” Volume 17 – 1920 By Warren Upham”

About The Area

Population: 831
Area: 33.07613
Major Lakes: Prairie
Minor Civil Division: 2711150110
Township and Range: T 136N - R 43W

Interactive Street Map
Commissioner District: District 2
Cities in this Township:

Plat Books Last Updated: May 2016

Scroll to Top