Henning Township, organized July 17, 1878, was at first called East Battle Lake, which was changed August 1, 1884, to the present name, borne also by villages in Illinois and Tennessee. The railway village of this township, incorporated September 17, 1887, had several years earlier received this name, in honor of John O. Henning, of Hudson, Wis., who during many years was a druggist there and died April 15, 1897.*
Henning was the 38th township in Otter Tail County to be organized and began its official career the same day as Bluffton. There are no lakes in this township. The southwest part drains into the Red River and the north and east sections drain into the Leaf River or Mississippi water shed. Both the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1882 and the Soo Line in 1902 intersect in the Village of Henning, which is the only platted village in this township.
In 1977, due to the merger of the Northern Pacific and the Burlington Railroad, the tracks from Wadena to Fergus Falls on the spur line have been removed and have left the area with only the Soo Line passing through.
*Source: The Book “Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance” Volume 17 – 1920 By Warren Upham”