Dead Lake Township

Dead Lake Township, the last organized in the county, April 10, 1897, took the name of its large lake, which extends west into the townships of Star Lake and Maine. It is translated from the Ojibway name, referring to a grave, given by Gilfillan as Tchibegumigo, “House of the Dead, … from the custom of the Indians to build the resemblance of a little house over a grave.” Dead river, named from the lake, is its outlet.

About a year 1843, beside the eastern part of this lake, some thirty or forty Ojibways, comprising only old men, women, and children, were killed by a war party of Sioux, whence the lake and river were named.

Source: The Book “Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance” Volume 17 – 1920 By Warren Upham and  The Book “History of Becker county” 1907 By Wilcox

About The Area

Population: 494
Area: 35.01601
Major Lakes: Battle, Dead, Tamarack
Minor Civil Division: 2711115076
Township and Range: T 135N - R 40W

Interactive Street Map
Commissioner District: District 1
Cities in this Township:
No locations listed

Plat Books Last Updated: May 2016

Officials

Scroll to Top