Clitherall Township, the first organized in this county, October 24, 1868, and Clitherall village in Nidaros township, settled in 1865, platted in October, 1881, and incorporated October 4. 1898, received their name from Clitherall lake, lying in these townships and adjoining the village. “The lake took its name from Major George B Clitherall, who was register of the United States land office at Otter Tail City from 1858 to 1861.” He was born at Fort Johnson, North Carolina June 13, 1814; and died in Mobile, Alabama, October 21, 1890. He is well remembered by the Minnesota Historical Society for his donation to its museum, a carved mahogany armchair that was owned by (George) Washington in his home at Mount Vernon.
Source: The Book “Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance” Volume 17 – 1920 By Warren Upham”
The Otter Tail County Board of Commissioners met at the original county seat location in 2018 to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of Otter Tail County.