Join the Otter Tail County Solid Waste Department, Springboard for the Arts, and the Kaddatz Galleries at the 2020 Earth Day Trashion Fashion Show at the Fergus Falls VFW!
This fun event for all ages will feature unique garments made out of waste items in a fashion show setting! Participants and spectators will learn about waste, fashion waste, creative reuse, and how creativity can help us make less garbage. This event is open to anyone interested in making a fashion item out of trash and/or recycled materials, or watching a runway show and learning about waste and how to make less of it!
If you would like to participate by making a trashion garment, you must register for the event by April 13th. If you would prefer to watch the runway show, we will see you at the VFW on April 18th! Although this event is free, there is a suggested $5 donation at the door to cover event costs.
Schedule of events:
Doors and social hour: 5:30pm-6:30pm
Curtain Call for Trashion Fashion Show: 6:30 PM
Panel discussion about waste and creative reuse: 6:30pm-7pm
Runway show: 7pm-7:30
Awards ceremony: 7:45
Music and dancing to follow the show.
- You may register and participate as a team or individual.
- A model is required to walk your creation down the runway. The model may be yourself or a member of your team, or someone else.
- All ages are encouraged to participate in the creation of a trashion item, and to walk it down the runway.
- Registration deadline: Monday, April 13th 2020
- Entry fee: suggested $5 donation at the door
Rules of entry:
- All designs must be made of materials that have been previously used or rescued from the trash, recycling bin, and/or recycling center. Do not use materials that have not been previously used (are new or purchased), even if you consider them trash (ex: unused garbage bags, new plastic cups, unused straws, etc). The materials you use must be considered junk or must be items that would have ended up in the landfill/incinerator if you hadn’t rescued them for art. Exceptions are made for fasteners or adhesives, although creative uses of waste for these purposes is encouraged (for example ‘thread’ made out of plastic bags or strips of bottles). Rotten food, hazardous waste (needles or infectious/dangerous materials), and heavily soiled items are not allowed.
- All designs must be completed prior to the show. Participants can use as much or as little time as they would like to complete their garment(s).
- One model can walk the runway per participant or team. (For example, an individual or team could not enter 3 separate designs using three different models.)
- Designs must be safely worn on the human body.
- Participants are responsible for providing a model to wear their garment in the show if they are not modeling their own garment. Models must wear appropriate undergarments to keep this a family friendly event.
- All participants must be willing to be photographed and in registering agree that their image may be used for publicity purposes.
- The event organizers reserve the right to decline participation in the fashion show if the design is not finished, is considered unsafe, is not appropriate for a family audience, not made from recycled materials or for any other reason deemed necessary.
A jury of design professionals will review designs during the Trashion runway show. Awards will be announced immediately following the show. Must be present to win. Multiple awards will be given out for the following categories:
Description: Think wearable clothing; business casual, formal, or night on the town.
Description: Think over the top, editorial, wearable sculpture, character or costume.
Description: Fashion can be more than a garment. Compete with a hair and/or makeup design that compliments your trashion fashion design. (Disclaimer: Do not use expired beauty products on models.)
Description: Kids and teens under the age of 13 are encouraged to participate! All participants under the age of 13 will receive a prize bag courtesy of event sponsors.
Description: Judges will pick their favorite out of all of the categories.