NOTICE: Due to COVID-19,
- The Household Hazardous Waste Facility and Redemption Center are currently open for no-contact outside drop-off.
- Transfer Stations are open normal hours, and are accepting all materials, with the following precautions in place:
1. Scale houses are closed to the public
2. Please practice social distancing
3. Staff are unable to assist with unloading at this time, bring help if you cannot do it yourself
Solid Waste Programs and Services
Municipal solid waste from Otter Tail County is managed according to the EPA waste management hierarchy which recognizes waste reduction, recycling, and resource recovery as keys to a sustainable waste management system.
Want to receive updates about special collections, holiday hours, recycling tips and more? Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter!
The Otter Tail County Solid Waste Department oversees an integrated waste management system that includes:
Solid Waste Transfer Stations
Otter Tail County operates six solid waste Transfer Stations and two Demolition Landfills.
Our recycling program includes a Materials Recovery Facility, 29 drop-off recycling sites, cardboard recycling route, and a Recycling Center (Materials Recovery Facility).
- Recycling Information
- Recycling Center
- Special Collections for Holiday Lights and Agricultural plastic
Household Hazardous Waste Program
Our Household Hazardous Waste program includes a Household Hazardous Waste Facility and Mobile Collections that serve a six-county area.
Perham Resource Recovery Facility
Resource Recovery, also know as Waste-to-Energy, plays an important role in sustainable management of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW). Waste-to-energy reduces the volume of landfilled material by up to 85%, compared to landfilling alone. The Perham Resource Recovery Facility is a Waste-to-Energy facility that serves Otter Tail, Becker, Todd, Wadena, and Clay counties.
Waste Education and Outreach
The Solid Waste Department has a Public Information & Education Officer to help county residents reduce waste and dispose of waste responsibly.
- Assistance with reducing waste at school, work, or home
- Engaging presentations and classroom visits
- Tours of Solid Waste Facilities
- Free Event Recycling Services
- Green Team Program