- The Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Fergus Falls is closed to the public
- The Recycling Redemption Center in Fergus Falls is closed to the public
- We are still collecting recycling across the county, including cardboard from businesses.
Transfer Stations are open normal hours, but please do your part and limit visits as much as possible. Starting April 1st, Transfer Stations will accept bagged garbage and demolition material only.
The following precautions are also in place:
1. Scale houses are closed to the public
2. Please stay in your vehicle and wait for further instruction
3. Staff are unable to assist with unloading at this time, bring help if you cannot do it yourself
Solid Waste Programs and Services
Municipal solid waste from Otter Tail County is managed according to the EPA waste management hierarchy which recognizes waste reduction, recycling, and resource recovery as keys to a sustainable waste management system.
Want to receive updates about special collections, holiday hours, recycling tips and more? Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter!
The Otter Tail County Solid Waste Department oversees an integrated waste management system that includes:
Solid Waste Transfer Stations
Otter Tail County operates six solid waste Transfer Stations and two Demolition Landfills.
Our recycling program includes a Materials Recovery Facility, 29 drop-off recycling sites, cardboard recycling route, and a Recycling Center (Materials Recovery Facility).
- Recycling Information
- Recycling Center
- Special Collections for Holiday Lights and Agricultural plastic
Household Hazardous Waste Program
Our Household Hazardous Waste program includes a Household Hazardous Waste Facility and Mobile Collections that serve a six-county area.
Perham Resource Recovery Facility
Resource Recovery, also know as Waste-to-Energy, plays an important role in sustainable management of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW). Waste-to-energy reduces the volume of landfilled material by up to 85%, compared to landfilling alone. The Perham Resource Recovery Facility is a Waste-to-Energy facility that serves Otter Tail, Becker, Todd, Wadena, and Clay counties.
The Perham Resource Recovery Facility currently has an opening for a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) Sort Line Operator.
For a full job description and application materials click here. Applications for this position must be received by January 31st at 4:00 pm.
Waste Education and Outreach
The Solid Waste Department has a Public Information & Education Officer to help county residents reduce waste and dispose of waste responsibly.
- Assistance with reducing waste at school, work, or home
- Engaging presentations and classroom visits
- Tours of Solid Waste Facilities
- Free Event Recycling Services
- Youth In Action Program
Proposed Otter Tail County Solid Waste Designation Ordinance
For information regarding the proposed Otter Tail County Solid Waste Designation Ordinance, you can view both the Draft Ordinance and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency letter of approval using the links below.