Voter Registration

Posted By: Elections,

Online Registration is now available

To Register online you will need to have an email address and a MN-issued driver’s license, Minnesota ID card or last 4 digits of Social Security Number. Visit the Secretary of State website for more information for online Registration.

If you reside in Otter Tail County and would like to register to vote, download and complete the voter registration form and mail it back to Otter Tail County Auditor/Treasurer
Government Services Center
510 W Fir Ave
Fergus Falls, MN 56537

In Minnesota, a person must register to vote before you can vote. There are two options to register to vote:

  • You may register up to 20 days before the Election Day or;
  • On the election day at your polling place.

Your name will appear on the polling place roster if you choose to register to vote at least 20 days before Election day. Your registration will remain current until you move, change your name or do not vote for four consecutive years.

Are you eligible to vote?

If you want to vote, you must certify:

  • You are 18 years old on Election Day
  • You are a citizen of the United States
  • You will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
  • You have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
  • You are not under court-ordered guardianship, where a court has revoked your voting rights
  • You have been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law

Election Day Registration

If you are not registered or you need to update your registration on Election Day, you may do so at your polling place. Your polling place is based on the location of your residence. You are required to provide proof of residence when registering on Election Day.

You must have one of the following with your current name and address in the precinct to verify your residence:

  • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card, or a yellow receipt for any of these.
  • A valid student ID card including your photo, if you are on a student housing list on file at the polling place.
  • A tribal ID card that contains your picture and signature.
  • A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address.
  • A notice of late registration sent to you by your county auditor
  • A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
  • An employee of a residential facility, including nursing homes, battered women’s shelters, homeless shelters and other licensed facilities, may vouch that you live there (only if the facility has provided the county with a certified list of employees)

Or, you may provide both a photo ID from the list below, and one of the current bills listed below with your current name and address in the precinct.

Photo IDs (may be expired)
ID must contain the voter’s name and photo, and may be expired

  • Driver’s License, state ID card or learner’s permit issued by any state
  • United State Passport
  • United State Military ID card
  • Tribal ID card with the name, signature and photo or the voter
  • Minnesota university, college, or technical school ID card
  • Minnesota high school ID card

Approved Documents
The document must have the voter’s current name and address in the precinct, and can be shown electronically or on paper.

  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through election day)
  • Current student fee statement
  • Bill, account of start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
    • Phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc)
    • TV (cable, satellite, etc)
    • Internet service
    • Solid Waste or sewer service
    • Electric, gas or water
    • Banking or credit card
    • Rent or mortgage payments

For more information on registering to vote visit the Secretary of State website.


Related Groups

The content on this page is managed by the following departments and/or boards. 

Posted By: Elections,

Scroll to Top