Single and Two Family Property Tax Rebate Program
Otter Tail County has approved a program to spur new investment in single and two family homes. The goal is to open up lower value, existing home stock to new home buyers as well as increase the tax base through a rebate of property taxes on newly constructed homes.
- Rebate of the County’s portion of the property tax, along with the City’s portion in participating cities (currently Fergus Falls, Henning, New York Mills, Ottertail, Pelican Rapids and Vergas), based on the increase to real estate taxes as a result of building a new home
- Provides up to $10,000 in rebate in five years ($5,000 throughout the county plus $5,000 if residence being built is located in a participating city)
- Primary residences only (no seasonal owners)
- Rebate paid to the owner of record in December of the year, transfers with sale of the property
- Approval must be received before construction begins
- Applicant can be future homeowner or builder/developer
For more information, please review the full program guidelines.
To apply for the tax rebate, complete this application.
Otter Tail County Housing Summit
The Otter Tail County Housing Summit was held on December 4, 2019. Below are presentations from the event: