What is Radon?
Radon is a colorless, odorless radioactive gas that seeps up from the earth. When inhaled, it gives off radioactive particles that can damage the cells that line the lung.
Long term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer. In fact, over 21,000 lung cancer deaths in the US each year are from radon, making it a serious health concern for all Minnesotans.
A radon test is the only way to find out how much radon is in your home and if you and your family are at risk. Preforming a radon test on your own is easy, inexpensive and takes only a few minutes of your time. The results of a properly performed radon test will help determine in you need to take further action to protect your self from the health risks of radon. Free test kits are available at Public Health.
For more information on Radon visit the Minnesota Department of Health Radon in Minnesota Homes Page.