Posted By: Recorder’s Office,

Credentials to Perform Marriages

Before Ministers of any religious denomination are authorized to solemnize a marriage, they must be 21 years of age and have registered a copy of their credential of license or ordination with a County in this state. Ministerial Credentials need only to be recorded once in the State of Minnesota. They do not need to be recorded in each county where a marriage may take place. Any fact of marriage received without a statement as to what county in Minnesota the credentials are recorded in will not be accepted.

Filing Requirements

  • Completed Certificate of Filing
  • The original license or certificate of ordination (will be copied and returned)
  • Filing fee payable to the Otter Tail County Recorder
  • Officiant must be 21 years of age
Marriage Full License Fee$115.00
Marriage Reduced Fee$40.00
Certified Certificate of Marriage$9.00
Ministerial Credentials$20.00
Notary Filing$20.00

Information for Marriage Officiant

A marriage license that was issued by Otter Tail County is given to the applicants at the time they complete the application process. They will receive two pieces of paper that include the marriage license and the marriage certificate. They will also receive an envelope that can be used to send the completed certificate back to our office. The marriage license shall be kept by the officiant as proof of your authority to solemnize the marriage. The marriage certificate needs to be completed by the officiant. Failure to complete the marriage certificate properly will result in a delay of the issuance of the certified marriage certificate. An example of our marriage license and certificate will provide tips for correctly completing the certificate.

File Attachment

Related Groups

The content on this page is managed by the following departments and/or boards. 

Posted By: Recorder’s Office,

Scroll to Top