Military and/or Overseas Absentee Voting

Posted By: Elections,

Minnesota residents temporarily residing outside the United States qualify for local, state and Federal office ballots.

Minnesota residents residing outside the United States indefinitely qualify for Federal Office ballots only.

You can apply to vote absentee with the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) if you qualify under one of the following:

  • Overseas civilian US citizens, (Defined as residents of Minnesota residing outside of the US either temporarily or indefinitely)
  • Members of the Uniformed Services and their dependents who are also U.S. citizens and residents of Minnesota. (Defined as U.S. Armed Forces, merchant marines and the commissioned corps of the Public Health Services and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
  • Be sure to sign your FPCA card.

To obtain a FPCA (Federal Post Card Application) for each person who will be voting by absentee:

  • Complete and absentee ballot application online.
  • Complete a FPCA
  • Contact the overseas vote foundation
  • Members of the Uniformed Services can contact your Unit/Organization Voting Assistance Officer (VAO) for assistance. If you do not know who this is, ask your chain of command for assistance.

Email, Fax or mail your completed FPCA to your county auditor as soon as possible.

  • FPCA applications are valid through end of the calendar year or through the next regularly scheduled state general, whichever is later.

Postal address:

Otter Tail County Auditor/Treasurer’s Office
Government Services Center
510 W Fir Ave
Fergus Falls, MN 56537

Toll-Free DSN

Fax Number (218) 998-8042

Email :

Ballots will be issued to you 45 days before each election or after the receipt of your FPCA (if it is received less than 45 days before Election Day). A postage paid return envelope will be included with your mailed ballot. Ballots must be received before the polls close on Election Day so return your ballots ASAP. Voted Ballots will not be accepted if faxed or emailed.

If you have applied for but have not received your state ballot, request a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot from your Embassy/Consulate/VAO or online.

Track the status of your absentee ballot

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can someone else fill out the FPCA for me?

A: Yes, the FPCA can be completed and submitted for a Uniformed Service member or dependent by their immediate family member (spouse, parent, sister, brother, or child 18 years of age or older). The family member must sign the signature line with their name and state their relationship to you, the applicant.

Q: What should I do if I don’t receive my absentee ballot in a timely manner?

A: Request a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot from your VAO or download it and mail it to Otter Tail County Auditor/Treasurer’s Office. The voter must have already applied for an Absentee ballot.

Q: How can I expedite the process or returning the ballot?

A: Use a commercial service requested by and paid for by the voter. Election ballots cannot be returned by fax or email.

Bars to Registration and Voting

For both Military and Overseas; convicted felons whose civil rights have not been restored, persons under court-ordered guardianship of the person without voting rights, or those declared legally incompetent may not vote.

Upon denial of your voter registration application or absentee ballot request, Minnesota shall provide you with the reason(s) for the rejection.


Phone: 218-998-8040
Mailing: 510 West Fir Avenue, Fergus Falls, MN, USA

Related Groups

The content on this page is managed by the following departments and/or boards. 

Posted By: Elections,

Scroll to Top