Otter Tail County Green Team
Youth organizations can earn money and community recognition through the Otter Tail County Green Team program – previously the Youth In Action program. OTC Green Team is a hands-on recycling program run by the Solid Waste Public Information and Education Officer. Otter Tail County Green Teams are selected by the Solid Waste Public Information and Education Officer through a simple application process. After a team is selected, they are assigned a recycling canister site to monitor and maintain. The team is also responsible for educating others in their community about reducing, reusing, composting and recycling to reduce waste.
Be a Waste-Reduction Champion!
Each Green Team agrees to carry out the following responsibilities each calendar year:
- Check on assigned recycling canister site two times each month, picking up litter and trash around the site. Submit a photo of your site 10 times each calendar year to document your site.
- adult supervision is required during each visit for those under the legal driving age
- additional checkups are encouraged!
- Email or call the Solid Waste office if you have suggestions for improving recycling at the sites.
- Group leaders are responsible for notifying the Solid Waste Department of any items left at the canister site that are hazardous, too large to handle, or could result in an injury – these items will be picked up by Solid Waste staff.
- Trash that is picked up during your site visits may be disposed of free of charge at any of the following locations:
- Organize one community education event per year to raise awareness of waste, waste reduction and to encourage community members to recycle, compost and consume less.
- Meet yearly with the Public Information & Education Officer to learn about program requirements, waste reduction and recycling updates.