Cash Assistance Programs

Posted By: Human Services,

Cash Assistance Programs

Minnesota Family Investment Program & Diversionary Work Program

The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), is the state’s PA program for low-income families with children. MFIP helps families move to work and focuses on helping families. It includes both cash and food assistance.

When most families first apply for cash assistance, they will participate in the Diversionary Work Program (DWP). This is a 4 month program that helps parents go immediately to work. Some families may be referred to MFIP when they first apply for assistance or after they finish 4 months of DWP.

MFIP helps families transition to economic stability. Parents are expected to work and are supported in working. Most families can get cash assistance for only 60 months.

Refugee Cash Assistance

The refugee resettlement program coordinates services to assist refugees in making the transition to life in the United States. The Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program provides cash assistance to refugees who are ineligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or MFIP for up to 8 months after arrival in the United States. Only refugee’s as defined by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) are eligible.

General Assistance

The General Assistance (GA) program provides cash assistance for some single, unemployed adults with out children, including people who are elderly, ill, injured or otherwise incapacitated.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) is a state funded supplement for people who receive SSI.

Group Residential Housing

Group Residential Housing (GRH) pays room and board for a group living situation which has a fixed rate contract with a county. This includes foster care settings for adults. It does not include shelters or medical care facilities.

Related Groups

The content on this page is managed by the following departments and/or boards. 

Posted By: Human Services,

Scroll to Top