Otter Tail County has access to death records for any person who died anywhere in Minnesota 1997 to present or any person who died in Otter Tail County after 1871. For death records outside of Otter Tail County prior to 1997, contact the county registrar where the person died. The Minnesota Historical Society maintains a death record index statewide for most historical deaths. You can search the index online at the Minnesota Historical Society. http://www.mnhs.org/search/people
Identification is required to obtain a certified death certificate.
|Death Certificate||$13.00 with tangible interest|
|Death Certificate||$6.00 each additonal copy of the certificate|
Tangible interest is a fraud protection measure. The prevalence of fraud is on the rise and most Minnesota birth and death records are public data. Tangible interest helps protect people who are born in Minnesota and the families of people who die in Minnesota by restricting access to the certificates that are used for most legal purposes such as school registration, applying for a passport or a social security number, or settling an estate.
Minnesota Statutes, Section 144.225, Subdivision 7 restricts access to a certified birth or death certificate, which means you must have a tangible interest to obtain a certified birth or death record. This law was effective August 1, 2000. Minnesota Department of Health’s Tangible Interest webpage.
If you have questions about who is eligible to obtain birth or death certificates, contact email@example.com or 651-201-5970.
To Request a Death Certificate
- Complete Death Certificate Application indicating you have “tangible interest”. Do not sign until you are present in our office.
- Show identification.
- Pay fees by cash, check or credit card (A convenience fee will be charged for credit card transactions.)
- Complete Death Certificate Application indicating you have “tangible interest” .
- Sign application in front of a notary.
- Pay fees by check or credit card (A convenience fee will be charged for credit card transactions.)
Otter Tail County Recorder
565 Fir Avenue West
Fergus Falls, MN 56537