Civil Proceedings

Posted By: Attorney,

We provide legal counsel to county government. This includes legal advice and representation to the Board of Commissioners and the various county departments.

In addition, we address specific legal concerns that arise for Otter Tail County, such as day-to-day operations, compliance, contracts to obtain the goods, services and facilities needed for serving the public, litigation defense, insurance and risk management, real estate taxes and property used by county government.

Children in Need of Protection

A Child in Need of Protection or Services (CHIPS) case is a part of the family law court subdivision within the legal system that aims to help families and protect children. Some CHIPS petitions can involve child protection or termination of parental rights for reasons such as abandonment and serious criminal conviction. However, CHIPS cases are not just focused on removing kids from a dangerous situation with caregivers, they can also concern kids who need to be placed in a state program. They can include facilities for children with severe behavioral problems and for children in runaway cases. CHIPS cases may be brought by the social services department of a county or by an individual filing a private CHIPS petition on behalf of the parents or children. These parties can include noncustodial parents, children, foster parents, other relatives, a guardian ad litem, and the child’s applicable tribe if he or she is of American Indian heritage. If there is a child in your life who needs help, a CHIPS case might be the solution. A CHIPS attorney can help ensure that the child in your life gets into a better situation. Contact a law firm with CHIPS experience to learn more about what a CHIPS case could do for you.

Child Support Collection

Child support covers support (money) for basic expenses, child care and medical and dental costs. Every child needs financial and emotional support from both parents. State and county child support offices work with both parents to help children receive the financial support they need when their parents are not living together. Our child support section provides four primary services:

  • Establishing paternity, including genetic testing when needed.
  • Establishing court orders to pay child support.
  • Collecting and enforcing child support based on court orders.
  • Modifying child support when things change.


We work to protect people who are struggling with mental illness, developmental disability or chemical dependency from harming themselves or others, while ensuring they receive the treatment they need. We also handle all indeterminate commitments including those who are found to be ‘Mentally Ill and Dangerous’ and ‘Sexually Dangerous Persons.’

FAQ’S – Civil

What is a civil action?

A civil action is a lawsuit that involves money, injury or damages, return or property, civil rights, or other non-criminal matters.

How is a civil action started?

A civil action is started by service (delivery) of a Summons and Complaint. Depending on the situation, service can be done in person, by mail, or by publication. The court rules require that the server is someone who is not a party to the case. Also in Minnesota, a lawsuit can be started without filing the Summons and Complaint in court, so the first sets of documents might not include a court file number. If you contact the court in the early stages of a case, they may not find a record of the case in their system. To move the lawsuit forward in court, the case must be filed within one year or service of the Summons and Complaint.

What are the important deadlines in civil actions?

Answer is due no later than 20 days after service of the Summons and Complaint: The defendant has 20 days after service of the Summons and Complaint to respond by serving a written answer on the plaintiff. If the deadline is missed, plaintiff may be able to get a judgment by default against the defendant.

File with the court within one year after services of the Summons and Complaint: Civil actions (except family cases) must be filed with the court within one year of service of the Summons and Complaint. Unless the parties sign a written agreement to extend the filing deadline, failure to file within the year will result in the case being dismissed with prejudice, which means that it can never be filed in District Court.

Other deadlines apply to discovery requests and pre-trial motions, and the court may issue orders with specific deadlines.

Do I have a valid case?

Before starting a civil action, you must figure out if you have a legally valid claim. You must also examine how the importance and complexity of the issues compare to the amount in dispute and the costs of litigating the case in court. If you do not know the answer to these two questions, you should talk with a lawyer.

1. Is there a legal basis for my claim?

2. Has the statute of limitations expired?

Are there any special procedural requirements?

In some situations, you must take specific steps to create a basis for suing. In other words, you need to do something before you sue. Depending on the situation, steps required to be completed before starting a civil case could be included in sources such as the Minnesota statutes, rules or regulations, or in a contract.

How do I respond to a summons and complaint?

Common civil lawsuits involve claims that the defendant owes money for services or purchases, breached a contract or did something else to damage the party who started the lawsuit.

Can the County Attorney’s Office help me with a legal problem?

The duties of the County Attorney’s Office are established by state statute. Therefore, the County Attorney is not authorized to represent citizens in any private matters.

With what types of crimes can juveniles be charged?

Juveniles can commit and be charged with crimes ranging from felonies, including first degree murder, to petty misdemeanors.


Phone: 218-998-8400
Mailing: 121 West Junius Avenue, Fergus Falls, MN, USA

Related Groups

The content on this page is managed by the following departments and/or boards. 

Posted By: Attorney,

Scroll to Top