Once you receive your permit authorizing the placement of your swim raft / dive raft / water trampoline / or other floating water recreation structure; the permit will be valid until one or more of the following occurs:
- When your address or location of the temporary structure changes
- When your permission from the property landowner is revoked
- When your structure is found to be non-compliant with the policies and/or regulations set forth
The Sheriff’s Office Water Patrol takes great care to ensure the safe navigation of all persons using the public waters of Otter Tail County, to accomplish this, Deputies will inspect and monitor your temporary structure to ensure that it is in compliance with the following regulations and guidelines:
- The permit number is displayed in not less than 2” in height numerals on one side of the raft
- The structure must have enough reflectorized material so as to indicate its size and shape from all angles
- The structure must be within 100 feet from shore
- The temporary structure cannot be a navigational hazard to the general boating public
- The structure is not deemed a hazard to persons using the structure
- The structure is placed and remains in the location described in the permit application
- The structure must be removed by November 1st, so as not to create a hazard for developing ice and winter conditions
Please understand that any structure placed in the public waters within Otter Tail County remain your responsibility to maintain. This however, does not prevent someone from using your structure. By issuing you a temporary structure permit, Otter Tail County, by rule of law, is not liable for any injuries or property damage by persons using, crashing into, or damage caused by, your temporary water structure.
For more information on slalom courses, please contact the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office.