A Birth certificate can be obtained at any Registrar’s office in Minnesota for people born after 1935. If born prior to 1935 in Otter Tail County, the Otter Tail County Recorder’s office can obtain these birth certificates. Tangible interest and identification is required to obtain a certified birth certificate.
Confidential Birth Records
Some records are confidential and can only be obtained by some people. Pursuant to Minnesota Statute 144.225, Subdivision 2, data pertaining to the birth of a child, to a woman who was not married to the child’s father when the child was conceived or when the child was born, including the original certificate of birth and the certified copy, are confidential data unless the mother has designated the data as being public.
Confidential birth records are available only to:
- The individual on the birth record if the individual has reached the age of 16
- The mother named on the birth record
- The father named on the birth record
- A legal guardian presenting a certified copy of guardianship papers
- An individual presenting a certified copy of a court order releasing the record to him/her
- The Commissioner of Human Services or authorized representative
- An individual with a written and notarized authorization from any of the persons above.
Tangible interest is a fraud protection measure. The prevalence of fraud is on the rise and most Minnesota birth and death records are public data. Tangible interest helps protect people who are born in Minnesota and the families of people who die in Minnesota by restricting access to the certificates that are used for most legal purposes such as school registration, applying for a passport or a social security number, or settling an estate.
Minnesota Statutes, Section 144.225, Subdivision 7 restricts access to a certified birth or death certificate, which means you must have a tangible interest to obtain a certified birth or death record. This law was effective August 1, 2000. Minnesota Department of Health’s Tangible Interest webpage.
If you have questions about who is eligible to obtain birth or death certificates, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-5970.
|Birth Certificate (Certified)||$26.00 with tangible interest|
|Birth Certificate (Certified)||$19.00 each additional copy of the certificate|
|Birth Certificate (Non-Certified)||$13.00|
To request a Birth Certificate
- Complete Birth Certificate Application indicating you have “tangible interest”. Do not sign until you are present in our office.
- Show identification.
- Pay fees by cash, check or credit card (A convenience fee will be charged for credit card transactions.)
- Complete Birth Certificate Application indicating you have “tangible interest”
- Sign application in front of a notary.
- Pay fees by check or credit card (A convenience fee will be charged for credit card transactions.)
Out of State Records
If you were not born in Minnesota, see the National Center for Health Statistics for more information about ordering a birth certificate from another state.